View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Captions forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Companions of Morrowind 
Draconian Saint

Have thanks: 166 time
Post Re: Companions of Morrowind
Scythe, I come from a family of creative artistic people and sometimes the worse thing a creative artistic person can do is study the "how to be creative and artistic" guidelines usually thought up by people who are NOt creative and artistic.

You, Scythe, are a very creative and artistic person, you have talent and you have the mechanics knowledge. I think if you toss the text books and so called self proclaimed experts in the dung heap you could really come up with something fun and interesting. The one thing game developers need is to develop a thick skin to all those pesty know-it-all game players who think they are so smart. (yeah I realize that is a bit of a rant).

The main thing is to believe in yourself. Both Nowena and I have worked with you so we know you can take friendly criticism.

Who wrote those early computer games? People who were self taught, had no "guide" books to wreck their lives just their own talent and brains. Why are those games still popular today? Because they were written from the soul, the heart and not concerned with a lot of "you must do this, or do that:.

Programming is a tool and I am sorry now that I didn't spend a little more time learning at least the basics. I had a bit of fun with the binary code but math is my strong point and is fun for me. I'll stop there or i will go off in a rant about how math is taught. Nothing like schooling to destroy creativity. Shut up, Nakia!

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 pm
Draconic Admin

Have thanks: 288 time
Depends a lot on the teacher. :)

I had a couple of teachers in high school that gave me the energy and desire to develop my own creativity, especially in writing. They didn't try to tell me how to be creative, they just encouraged me to do so. And, told me where I was doing things that were particularly interesting to them. That gave me a solid idea of what other people liked or didn't like about my work. My problem was avoiding letting my family read my work. They liked creativity (they said) but they had a bad habit of thinking if some piece of writing was a bit sad that it reflected badly on their influence and rearing of me. I guess they really weren't too creative. Definitely not good for mine, except in music.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:12 pm
Draconian Saint

Have thanks: 166 time
You were lucky, Nowena. We spend twelve years in grade and high school and how many of those many teachers we have had do we recall as inspiring us? I did have one in high school, my math teacher! So guess what I ended up being good at? One guess is all you get.

Aha! :idea: I think I have just discovered a scientific fact. All that stuff about thinking on the left or right side of the brain is what makes us good at something is just a load of BS. It who or what inspires us to think that makes the difference.
:hug: :WOOT:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2