View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Captions forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Basics of the dragon age toolset 
Draconian Saint

Have thanks: 2 time
Post Basics of the dragon age toolset
Well first of all, there is some similarities between the tes cs and the datool, but how they are unpacked and where they are unpacked are very different.

First, dragon age modders at this time use either dazips, or conventional methods such as placing the files directly in dragon age's version of their data folder, the override.

An override is located in the core folder, and core is located in the packages of the dragon age folder, both in dragonage's folder in "my documents", and in the harddrive itself

a dazip is like an esp, but instead it does not need extra separate files placed in the override folder, because dazip's are all in ones, makes things much easier but at this time conventional methods are still common.

How to activate dazips's? Either download a da mod manager called damodder, or use the daupdater itself that comes with it's own small mod manager. A separate mod manager such as damodder might be more optimal, since damodder has it's own back up/restore feature if you have problems with ctd

unpacking data items directly is done with either the following

1. unpack it's own folder inside the override

2. Place the items inside the override itself without a folder

Oh yes and the override is basically like oblivion's data folder, but it does not need to separate the mesh and texture folders, instead, everything can be jugged inside, but most mods that are basically tweaks of the vanilla are basically the main users of this method, such as editing scenes, dialouge, or textures and models, not huge addons. Addon mods use dazips instead.

Dragon age's modding style is pretty thorough, I'll get to what type of files they use, and the toolset later, for now, it's safe to say dragon age also uses dds for textures. Also, the toolset uses ms sql server 2005 or later, but don't worry, the toolset comes with 2005, some win7 or vista users though might want to upgrade from 2005 to 2008 due to some problems other win7 or vista users had with permission problems, but I myself is using win7 64-bit and have not encountered any problems, so there should be no need to upgrade. But the point is that the potential in sql can have us or anybody else create more tools like oblivion script extender or anything else similar for dragon age. You can even add multiplayer easy with this kind of amount of tools.

However, the toolset itself is not simple, infact, it's still very alien to most people. But give dragon age a few months and you'll find pretty awesome mods.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:56 pm
Report this post
Draconic Admin

Have thanks: 288 time
Post Re: Basics of the dragon age toolset
Wonderful!

Most of us here have little experience or knowledge of the DA toolset, so please keep this going, Jj. It is very useful information.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:26 pm
Report this post
Draconian Saint

Have thanks: 166 time
I second Nowena. This is very good.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 pm
Report this post
Draconian Saint

Re: Basics of the dragon age toolset
Hokay, I give up. I can't get the next stage of the path of the Scythe ot progress. I know where the Hunter lives, thanks to lefty but I can't get the clue that generates the next stage of the quest.

HELP

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 am
Report this post
Draconian Saint

Just watched Romney's speech agaist Trump. Will it make a differece? I thik there will be some influence on undecided voters but how much remais to be see.

I still think that both parties are blind to the disillusionmet of many voters to the political atmosphere. Looking forward to the general election I also think both parties to not consider independent voters such as myself who for one reason or another do not align themselves with a party. We are the vote that will win the election for someone.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:52 pm
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]